Thursday, March 22, 2007

Business Etiquette is a MUST

In my campaigns class yesterday, I was lucky enough to hear a guest lecture about Business Etiquette - the lecturer came from a background of event planning and hospitality, and she also mentioned reading many books about the subject, so her advice seemed more than reliable.

While I think having an interview or meeting over a meal is probably one of the most scariest environments (yes, despite my politeness there are some minor things that are not appropriate that I wouldn't even realize,) the lecturer stressed that the main purpose is NOT the meal - it is the CONVERSATION. However, after choking on a piece of sushi in the middle of dinner last night at a public restaurant with my boyfriend, I couldn't help but worry about other embarrassing things that might go on during dinner meetings (regardless of how great your conversation may be)!

I went home and looked at some different Websites about dining etiquette, not only because I worry about myself, but I think the topic is very interesting and is often not stressed enough to students looking for jobs. YOU are the center of attention, so dining with a potential employer can give you the opportunity to either make or break an opportunity.

Some very interesting things I learned from the lecture and from other etiquette sites:

1. NO ALCOHOL!!!!

2. Eat light - avoid messy foods, even if you have to go through the drive-thru on the way home

3. When eating soup, bring the spoon away and then towards you and sip from the side of the spoon

4. If someone asks for the salt, pass both the salt AND the pepper

5. Can I use my fingers?

Yes
Berries, if served with the stem
Caviar on toast
Cheese on crackers
Corn on the cob
Crisp bacon
French fries (informal situations only)
Hamburgers
Hors d’oeuvres

NO
Berries without stems
Cake
Clams
Fish
Fruit
Ice cream served on cake or pie
Large chicken pieces
Oysters
Pastry
Pizza
Shish kabob
Shrimp
Sushi (or use chopsticks, if provided)
Steak

6. Know which plates, utensils, and glasses are yours, and know what each of them are meant for.

7. Order something you are familiar with

8. Even if you are invited to a meal, bring money just in case.

9. Try your best to make the other person feel comfortable.

10. FOCUS ON THE CONVERSATION (as difficult as it may be)!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting etiquette facts. Although I knew most of them, I found a few quite surprising. I am working at a PR agency in NYC - where are you looking for jobs?

Kelly said...

I actually would like to do something that is more on the marketing side rather than doing agency work. Jobs at Edleman, Ketchum, and others are hard to get, especially since I have not had an internship - just part-time jobs while in school!

Mike Driehorst said...

Good additional points, Kelly. (Saw the update on TeachingPR and followed it here.)

Your yes-no finger food section particularly good.

I might also add that you can play off of what the client/prospect does, and where he/she suggests for the meal can say a lot: formal v informal (and, maybe you can get away with eating pizza with your hands, if you're at a pizza restaurant).

Still, it's best to be careful and err on the side of being formal than sloppy.
Mike

Kelly said...

I completely agree - It is easier to use the employer's suggestions to influence your decisions. Also, there is no SET rule, so the environment can definately shape the way you act, what you order, etc.

I took an "Introduction to Interviewing" class at UGA last semester where we discussed dinner interviews for about a week, and it seemed like the answer to every students' questions that were asked was "well, it depends on the situation." Environment and location are extremely important when thinking about formality.

Thanks for your comment Mike!

Anonymous said...

Great work.

Anonymous said...

Your generosity in sharing this information means so much. Thanks a million. And do visit my website http://www.stanleyhighschool.com