Saturday, February 3, 2007

College Career Fairs

I recently went to a career fair here in Athens that was not associated with Grady. Out of almost 200 companies that were there, I could not find one that was looking to fill PR entry level; however, I was pleasantly surprised to see that those particular companies (mostly hiring for marketing and sales positions) took a big interest when I told them I was a PR major. Many of them said they like seeing PR grads because they're creative and great communicators. Just when I became more discouraged about entering the real world, I got some very positive feedback from major corporations that deal with real estate, financial advising, etc.

Maybe my job search does have a little bit of light at the end of the tunnel!

2 comments:

k said...

The best way to find that first job is as a follow-on from an internship (intern somewhere you'd like to work, make them fall in love with you, job soon follows) or through networking. Use PRSSA & esp. try to plug in with the Georgia Chapter of PRSA in ATL. I know there is a "Real World" event coming up in place of the PRSA Feb meeting - so be sure to find out more about that, get your smile & start meeting people!

Best of luck to you.
Dr. Trammell, APR
Grady College, ADPR

Kelly said...

YES!!! REAL WORLD PR IS COMING UP! I can't wait for that experience, and I'll be sure to write all about it next week!