Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Grady Professors Cover It All

As I was sitting at one of the panel discussions at Real World PR in Atlanta last Friday, I realized I was hearing exactly what's been drilled in my head over the past 2 years in Grady College.

While I was a tad bit bored during some discussions, at the same time I realized how relieving it is to know that I have been taught exactly what PR Professionals want us to know before entering the work force.

Since I am graduating in a few months, I know how stressful and scary it can be to have to worry about putting your skills and knowledge to work in the real world; however, I feel that I can rest assured knowing that I will be well prepared.

Aside from the communications, administration, research, graphics, and other classes with great professors, UGA also gave students the opportunity to go to PRofessional Connection, which was a series of panel discussions at UGA, along with resume and portfolio critiques. Real World PR was exactly like PRofessional Connection, but bigger, which was basically a repeat of what UGA students already got to experience.

I think Real World PR could be so useful and benefitial to someone who wants to learn about the field, but knowing how great of a job the Grady professors have done teaching us about the business was definately worth the $60 it cost!!!

2 comments:

Mehak Puri said...

hi kelly,

i am a MA student of PR at the university of westminster,london.

i have a debate next week on "does PR need to be taught or is it based on personal contacts?"

please tell me what you think.

also log on to www.mehakpuri.blogspot.com
and add your comments

cheers

Kelly said...

Hi Mehak,

I would definately say the PR NEEDS TO BE TAUGHT!

Someone once told me that I would be a great PR professional because
a. People like me and
b. I can maintain a positive image even if I didn't do something so positive......

UNFORTUNATELY, that is not enough.

First, all I heard at the Real World PR Collegiate Conference was how important writing is in PR. Coming into college, I had a difficult time because I was always taught to be a creative writer. When I got to UGA, I had to learn that PR writing should be more "to the point" without all the pretty language.

Second, I had to attend a lecture in order to do what I am doing right now...blogging. I think blogging is very important, especially to monitor the public's opinion.

Next, I think graphics are an important part of Public Relations, and if you can teach yourself how to use Photoshop, I applaud you.

Finally, RESEARCH!!!
Research is an essential part of creating a campaign - developing and distributing surveys, conducting focus groups and interviews, looking at previous PR efforts, and recognizing competitors' trends are all essential research methods that should be done before the creative stuff.

These things should not only be taught, they should be practiced. That's great if people like you and you have a lot of personal contacts, but your ultimate campaign will be based on the small things you learn along the way.

Good luck with your debate, Mehak!