Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Athens Symphony Pitch

Today was THE BIG DAY! My final PR course in the Grady College came to an end with a presentation to the Athens Symphony.

I feel like the presentation went well - the conductor really liked the piece we played in the background while we spoke, and I think he would really love to turn some of our tactics into reality, but he repeatedly mentioned how he did not think the players would be willing to contribute more of their time. One of our main tactics was to add a benefit concert (ie more rehearsals and time) to their schedule as a way to give back to the Athens community for their 30th Anniversary celebration.

He specifically mentioned that there was no way he could add another Christmas concert because people did not want to play an additional night (they need one because unfortunately they have to turn people away the tickets go so fast), but I think people are less willing to give time over the holiday's to be with their families.

Even after that suggestion was made, he insisted that he had a really difficult time getting people to give more, which disagreed with our survey numbers (86% atleast "somewhat willing" to perform a benefit concert).

I think a benefit concert really is the perfect way to give to the community, besides the free concerts they already offer, and I feel like the 30th season is the PERFECT opportunity for them to put something like that into their schedule. If the players really are against adding another concert, use one that is already planned. There doesn't necessarily have to be another one added.

I really hope our campaign impressed the individuals who sat before us today, and I truly hope they use some of our suggestions.

I can't believe my Grady career is almost over - I have worked with some of the smartest, most talented students in many of my classes, and I know I will miss that after I get to the "real world".

No comments: