Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Virginia Tech Communication Evaluation

I would first like to say how sorry I am to all of the victims of the Virginia Tech shootings that took place yesterday, and all of the victim's families, as well as the entire Virginia Tech community are in my prayers.

When I first heard the news yesterday morning, I could not stop watching the updates and live interviews on television. However, it bothered me that after one student criticized Virginia Tech's notification strategy, the media created a negative spin on how the situation was handled. I know there are many students were blaming Virginia Tech for the lack of communication, but as I was reading many blogs on the particular subject, this one truly caught my attention because I think at this point in the investigation, everyone needs to be on the same side and focus on how to make things better.

While I believe an e-mail could have been sent sooner, many people who were interviewed (most were not students) were acting like a loud-speaker announcement should have been made. There happened to be a small system outside one of the dorms, and an announcement was made in that particular area of campus. But unfortunately, a 2,600 acre campus is not the same as high school when someone can just get on the intercom and speak to the entire student body. We are lucky today to have an e-mail system that can reach so many people instantly.

The media has created such a negative spin on the situation that a police officer working the case in Virginia spoke at a press conference today and showed his support to the Virginia Tech notification attempt. Let us all place the blame on the gunman rather than each other.

No comments: